'Hygge Hot Chocolate' - Recipe
December is finally upon us. These frosty crisp days are made more tolerable with a hot restorative beverage. I usually opt for a mug of steaming Irish tea or an invigorating cup of coffee. However, on certain days the only thing that will do is a blissful mug of indulgent hot chocolate to embrace the changing season.
I have my hot chocolate in a mug without handles, which allows me to hug it with both hands, and absorb all the lovely comforting warmth. Here is my very simple recipe that can be whipped up in 5 mins, and deliver instant happiness to your day.
'Hygge' Hot Chocolate
2-3 Cups |
4 cups of whole milk (you can choose a milk of your own choice).
1/4 cups of chocolate buttons/chips (I used Dairy Milk buttons and two squares of 70% Lindt chopped coarsely to cut the sweetness of the milk chocolate).
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (I used Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract)
1 Packet of marshmallows (I used Princess Marshmallows as they aren't too sweet and are lovely and fluffy without being too chewy and firm).
1. Heat the milk in a saucepan to boiling point and then switch to a lower heat.
2. Add the vanilla and mix gently into the milk.
3. Turn the heat down to the lowest temperature.
4. Add the chocolate in at this point and whisk into the milk until completely melted and frothy.
5. Serve immediately in large mugs and top with a handful of marshmallows, which will bob and gently melt on the frothy milky surface. Drink, relax and enjoy!